- Be a member of the American Association for Physician Leadership® and/or its predecessor in good standing for the last five consecutive years.
- Hold current status as a Certified Physician Executive (CPE).
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a current fellow, who can nominate the candidate for fellowship status based on the applicant’s significant contributions to physician leadership.
- Provide a narrative that describes the candidate’s achievements in the field of physician leadership.
- Submit a structured application and accompanying reference letter. The application must include specific accomplishments, articles and where they were published, speaking engagements, resume and other relevant materials.
- Actively participate in association activities, including:
- Attend a minimum of 14 hours of live event CME through the association within the past two years AND participate in at least two of the following:
Serve as an ambassador at live conferences.
Serve as a learning lab presenter.
Serve as a peer reviewer for the annual call for presenters.
Serve as a task force or committee member.
Serve as a session host.
Serve as a Leape Ahead Award peer reviewer.
Serve as a mentor or coach through the association.
Serve on the Education Advisory Council.
Serve as a poster presenter at live institutes or women’s community webinar presenter.
Serve as association faculty.
Develop new initiatives to foster physician leadership.
Contributions to the field of physician leadership at the regional or national level, beyond the scope of the applicant’s employment, will be considered. Examples include publishing articles on physician leadership issues in national or regional journals, speaking at regional or national meetings on leadership issues, participating through committees and boards with state, regional or national impact on the health care system and mentoring outside of the association, including through other professional societies or within the workplace.
All applicants must be approved by the association board after recommendation by the Council of Fellows.
To maintain an FAAPL designation, all fellows will be required to:
Maintain their CPE status
Maintain their current dues and membership in the association
Complete at least seven CME hours through the association within the past two years
*Current applicants for the FACPE designation will be assessed according to the criteria in place in 2015. Current fellows who transition to the FAAPL designation will be granted two years to meet the new requirements.
The application will open up July 15, 2017.